The SkyBell HD Doorbell Camera is a round doorbell camera 3″ in diameter. You might not have liked it because of the size or it was too wide and didn’t fit on your door’s 2″ wide trim. Well, if you weren’t aware, they also have one that will fit on your door’s 2″ trim – the SkyBell WiFi Doorbell Camera.
The SkyBell Trim Plus Video Doorbell is a slimmer version of their HD Camera and because it is only 1.5″ wide it will fit even on that narrow strip of wood where your traditional doorbell currently fits.
When purchasing a slim SkyBell camera you have to be sure which one you’re buying. There are a few versions of the slimmer SkyBell WiFi doorbell.
There is one version where the video is only 720p, not 1080p, and it only works with the Alarm.com app. And to use that app you will need a subscription.
This review is only for the one that is stand alone and does not need a subscription and does not need a compatible alarm system.
Doorbells cameras help with..
Video doorbells are becoming more and more popular. People are realizing that not only are they convenient if you’re away or in the middle of something an don’t want to be bothered but also help to deter any potential crime activity.
While most unwanted visits to your front door are usually benign and harmless, such as a salesman or someone trying to sign you up to a new energy provider.
I’m sure you have seen the doorbell camera videos of “porch pirates” (thieves who steal packages that sit by your front door) or home intrusions.
Unfortunately, there are people who exist that will come to your door to see if anyone is home before trying to break in. Motion activated doorbell cameras were made for these moments. Because they will start recording their actions before they even get close to the door.
More and more police departments are accepting and requesting videos, like this one, from people’s doorbell cameras.
Installing the SkyBell WiFi Doorbell Camera
No batteries needed for this doorbell camera. The installation for this is hardwired so there is no need to wonder how long the battery will last before it needs changing.
It comes with everything needed to install it, even a masonry drill bit if you’ve got brick or stone.
It is powered by the same wires as your traditional doorbell. To get this installed should only take less than 15 minutes. Remove the old doorbell, attached the mounting plate, connect the wires and slip the doorbell on the mounting plate.
The electric wires are attached to the mounting plate and there are contacts on the plate for the doorbell to get its power.
- 1080p HD and HD night color vision with 5x zoom
- On demand video monitoring – can check live video feed even without motion sensor activation or doorbell pressed
- No subscription required to see or download the videos free 7 day use and access to videos, most others require a subscription
- Multiple users can access video and receive alerts – most other doorbell cameras don’t have this features
- 2 way audio to communicate with visitors
- Motion sensor begins video recording automatically
- Create pictures from viewing the app
- If stolen, SkyBell will replace free of charge
- Works between -40 and 140 degrees Fahrenheit – which is exceptional. Ring only works to -5F and Nest Hello works to 5F.
- Doorbell has a silent mode – when you need peace and quiet but still want notifications
Couple of Additionals
This SkyBell works on the 2.4GHz band. Some WiFi routers work on both band, 2.4GHz and 5 GHz. When you are setting up the SkyBell on your phone’s app make sure your phone is on the 2.4GHz band. Otherwise, you will have issues will the setup and eventual operation.
Also, if the doorbell has intermittent connection to WiFi or find yourself not being able to connect to the doorbell, don’t assume there is something wrong with it. You might need to invest in a WiFi extender or booster.
No battery backup
The SkyBell WiFi Doorbell Camera is hardwired to your house’s low voltage power. It doesn’t have a backup power system in the event power is lost within the house. However, it does have a small battery that will let the doorbell camera operate for a few minutes. But that’s not its purpose. It is there to maintain performance and allow the doorbell to run efficiently.
SkyBell Mounting Wedge Kit
The camera has a 180 degree field of view. That is pretty good, it’s one of the widest field of views available for doorbell cameras.
However, the doorbell camera is usually mounted right on the trim next to the door. And if that trim is not square or flush the angle of the camera might not capture everything you want.
So they have made available a Skybell wedge kit, it is sold separately, but it’s to allow a better angle of the approach to your front door. It allows up to an additional 12 degrees difference.
There have been some issues reported with this SkyBell Trim Plus Doorbell Camera.
- Some users have reported the doorbell losing WiFi connectivity and not being able to get it connected again no matter what they do.
- Some others had issues contacting customer service, calling 2, 3 or 4 times to where they decided to just email them. They did eventually get a response but that doesn’t help when the thing isn’t working.
Final thoughts on the SkyBell WiFi Doorbell Camera
You might not have heard of SkyBell WiFi Doorbell Cameras. If you haven’t, you are missing out on a camera that is just as good or better than some of the better known doorbell cameras.
This camera works very well and has all the features and controls of any of its’ competitors. And if you are in extreme cold or extreme hot conditions this is probably the one you want to go with. The other major doorbell cameras can’t operate in those conditions.
This is a good doorbell camera and easy to install. The app works well and has many features. You have access to all the settings and can view live and recorded video all from the app.
SkyBell Trim Plus Video Doorbell
- Free Recording of videos on their cloud with no subscriptions
- Easy installation
- 1080p HD with color night vision
- Notifications of motion alerts
- On demand live feed of the doorbell's camera
- Must be hardwired for power
- No backup power in case of power outage
- No web browser compatibility