When you are traveling or on vacation and staying in hotel or motel rooms security and being safe in your room is pretty important. Getting a portable travel door lock will increase your safety, they are easy to use and fairly inexpensive.
Sometimes you could become a target for thieves when you’re on vacation because you might not speak the local language, you’re in unfamiliar territory or the hotel could be in an unsafe location.
It also depends on the codes in the jurisdiction where you are spending your exciting vacation or business trip. In some places, hotels are required to have a deadbolt and a door chain or sliding door lock.
But these can’t always be trusted. And I have previously told you how those are not as safe as a single-sided deadbolt. Hotels and motels don’t always switch their door key cards correctly. And an Airbnb owner might not always change the locks between renters leaving you vulnerable for theft or worse.
Are these portable travel door locks TSA compliant?
I have looked into a bunch of different types of portable door locks for traveling. They’re all TSA safe and shouldn’t be confiscated (don’t take my word it though – their list seems to change all the time).
Most of these devices only work on doors that swing inward. You need to do your due diligence and check ahead with the place you will be staying if their doors swing inward. Most places in North America have doors that swing inward but a lot of places in Europe have outward swinging doors.
These locks only work once you are inside your hotel room. A portable travel door lock cannot be applied to your door if you are out of the room. And if you are in the room and are waiting on someone to return to the room they cannot get in if you have these on.
Great for Airbnb renters
Many of the locks I have presented here work well for Airbnb type renters. A lot of times when you rent an Airbnb you are renting one room in a larger house where there are other renters or the owner of the house. And you will need a device that will keep these strangers out of your room even if they have a key.
DoorJammer Portable Door Brace
- Updated model for 2019 with rugged steel for increased strength
- When force is exerted on the door the foot of the DoorJammer is pressed into the floor preventing the door from opening
- Works on any type of flooring – carpet, tile, laminate and concrete
- Easy to install and remove – no tools are required to install and removal is easy from the inside just by picking it up
- Fits under any kind of door – needing just a little more than an 1/4 inch of clearance
- Weighs less than 10 ounces for easy travel
- Comes with a 12 month warranty
Addalock Portable Door Lock
- Easily installs over existing door strike
- No tools needed to install
- Easily portable
- All metal body and chain
- Weighs less than 3 ounces
- Metal part fits between door and frame with tab on metal plate into the strike then red plastic part has a metal tab that fits into the metal plate to prevent door from opening
Travelers Security Lock
- Made out of aircraft aluminum
- Easy to install and has an easy to follow YouTube follow
- Works on doors that have an 1/8 or 1/4 gap between door and frame
- Comes with a carrying case for easy portability
- Works on left or right handed doors and doors without locks
- Weighs less than 9 ounces
- Bolts independently tightened to allow for differences between frame face and door face
- When bolts are tightened down the door has no “play” and won’t wiggle
Door Jammer Lockdown
- Easy to install and remove – just slips under the door to install and removes just by pulling it up
- Can be used on any type of flooring – carpet, tile, laminate or concrete
- Works by pressure being exerted on the door and foot gets more firmly planted into the floor
- Works on inclined floor as well
- Weighs less than an ounce
- Comes in either black or red
- Measures 12x4x3 inches – easily fits in carry-on luggage
- Easy to install and remove
- Can be used in just about any type of door in the world
- Tamper proof – cannot be seen or accessed from outside the room
- Can’t be bypassed even with the key in the door
- Small and lightweight – easy to carry and no metal parts
- Made out of reinforced nylon
Wedge Door Stop Security Alarm
- Works on any type of flooring
- Easy to use – no installation involved, just place under door
- Uses 9volt battery that is not included
- Has a 120db siren that will wake you and alert nearby rooms and neighbors
- 3 sensitivity levels – the setting depends on distance from door stop to door
- Works on doors with clearances of between 3/8 inch and 1 3/8 inches
- Lightweight, less than 9 ounces, and fits easily in carry-on or luggage (but should probably turn it off or remove batteries first)
- Won’t work with doors that swing outward
Calslock Portable Door Lock
- The lock is very small and easily portable
- It works on doors that don’t have locks
- Easily installed – the tab fits in the strike, shut the door then squeeze and slide the lock so that it is tight against the door
- Is made in the USA
- Weighs less than 3 ounces
Pocket Lock Portable Door Lock
- Easy to install – no tools needed
- Only works on inward opening doors
- 30 day money back guarantee
- Made of durable stainless steel
- Door can’t be opened – even with the key
- Weighs less than 2 ounces and small enough to carry in your pocket
- Easy to remove in case of emergencies
Sabre Door Handle Alarm
- Easy to install – just fits over the door knob or handle and no assembly required
- Vibration triggered alarm – if knob or handle is touched alarm goes off
- Needs 3 AAA batteries – will stick work during power outages
- Easily portable in carry-on or luggage
- Has 3 adjustable settings
- Off – It’s off
- Chime – this works as a notification for when the door opens to alert when people are coming or going
- Alert – the important setting – has a 30 second delay to prevent false alarms but any activity after that and alarm goes off
- Lightweight – only weighs 1.5 ounces
- The alarm is 110db, as loud as a chainsaw or leafblower, and can be heard up to 600 feet away
- Perfect for homes with residents who are afflicted with memory issues like dementia, Alzheimer’s or autism by alerting when door is opened.
Super Grip Lock
- Works on locks with deadbolt thumbturns
- Prevents turning of the lock even if someone has the key
- Easily attached to door lock – no tools needed
- Works on doors with the handle and deadbolt up to 6″ apart
- Just a strap – weighs less than an ounce and easily portable
Finishing it Up
Whether you are traveling for business or pleasure you can’t always leave your security up to the management where you are staying. Sometimes you need to take responsibility for your own safety and a portable travel door lock will contribute a little to that.
But don’t rely on a portable travel door lock alone. There are other precautions you need to take. Such as locking up your valuables and always being aware of your surroundings.