Contrary to conventional wisdom, the deadbolt locks that you see in your local bigbox hardware store are not the best for your security. Usually, those are the cheaper, inferior quality deadbolts.
If you want a deadbolt that is hard to pick or bump and that is hard to defeat with brute force, then keep reading the list below.
All deadbolt locks that describe themselves as high security should be certified as Grade 1 locks, the highest grade in the industry. All of these high security residential deadbolt locks are easy to install and fit in your existing deadbolt cutout.
1. Medeco Maxum
This Medeco high security deadbolt is the highest rated residential deadbolt. It’s anti-tampering features that this lock has that set it apart from other high security deadbolts. Medeco Maxum deadbolts were first designed for commercial and government use and then developed for residential use.
- Hardened 1” steel bolt with steel housing provides protection against cutting or drilling
- Strike plate has a box design and comes with 2” screws (recommend at least 3” long screws)
- The cylinder – the part with the keyhole – has additional steel inserts for protection against drilling
- Key cannot be duplicated unless through an authorized locksmith and then only with owner’s authorization
- Superior pick resistance due to special tumbler pins and a mechanism on the sidebar
- Some users reported having a little difficulty with installing this lock, mostly enlarging the bore hole.
2. Mul-T-Lock MT5+ Hercular
Mul-T-Lock’s newest deadbolt includes their multi-patented MT5+ mechanical key platform. Their previous key platform was the MT5, without the plus, but it was only available in Europe. Now the MT5+ has been released to the North American market and have added a side bar locking mechanism.
The UL437 listed cylinder is pick and drill resistant. The lock comes with a keycard which will allow the owner to present to an authorized locksmith for copies to be made. This sounds like a good security measure but who will remember where they put this card years later?
- With the MT5+ keying system you can have the same key for multiple formats – cylinders, padlocks, locks.
- Patented Alpha Spring at tip of key engages the pin at the back of the keyway providing an additional security measure
- Comes with Mul-T-Lock key card that is needed by an authorized Mul-T-Lock dealer for replicating keys, to keep copies out of wrong hands
- Ball bearings in bolt end reduce space in the box in the frame reducing jimmying attacks.
- Comes with 3″ screws to attach strike plate.
3. Abloy Protec2
The Abloy Protec2 single cylinder deadbolt is manufactured by Assa Abloy, a Swedish lock manufacturer. They’re also the parent company of August smart locks, Yale locks and Sargent exit devices and many others. The Protec2 is Assa’s upgrade to their Protec keying line.
The lock comes with a reinforced steel box for the bolt in lieu of a strike plate. The frame will need a little modification to allow the box to be installed.
- Abloy rotating detainer disc cylinder allows a large multitude of key combinations
- Cylinder guard collar spins to deter direct attacks to the cylinder
- 1″ hardened bolt length
- Steel strike box is reinforced
- Bolt comes with protective shield to prevent cutting or sawing
4. Schlage B660P
This Schlage deadbolt is the best deadbolt in the Schlage door locks family. The lock has a reinforced metal box strike in lieu of a strike plate and it is attached with the included 3″ screws.
This lock is keyed exterior and thumbturn on interior. For even more security you could get the Schlage B860P that comes with Schlage’s Primus XP UL437 listed high security cylinder that resists many kinds of physical attack.
- Comes with a metal reinforced box and 3″ screws to attach it.
- 6-pin keyway
- 3 hour UL fire rating
- Patented Everest C123 keyway
- Optional Interchangeable core and Primus XP high security cylinders
- Comes in 11 finishes making it easier to match with other door hardware
- Anti-pick shield around cylinder
- 1” bolt with hardened steel core
5. Kwikset 980
Kwikset and Schlage are the biggest names in residential locks in the United States. Chances are if you do have Kwikset on your door it is not this Kwikset 980 deadbolt.
Kwikset has their patented Smartkey technology allowing you to re-key the lock rather than paying a locksmith. This is very convenient when you find out one of your children lost their key or someone you loaned a key to hasn’t returned it.
Like all the other deadbolts on this list, this deadbolt will fit in a standard deadbolt cutout.
- Has Kwikset’s patented Smartkey technology which will allow you to rekey the lock yourself in seconds without needing to call a locksmith.
- The cylinder has stainless steel side locking bar for added security and to protect against bumping the pins into place
- Can be ordered as a single or double cylinder
- The least expensive on this list but not as good as the others on this list either.
If these high security deadbolts are out of your price range, then this list of the best deadbolts on a budget might be worthwhile.